Monday 26 November 2012

Winter Owl Merry Christmas Card - Inkspirational DT Call

Mynnette is having a DT call for a new challenge blog called Inkspirational that she is setting up.  The details can be found here on her blog.  There's not long to go until the deadline so I thought it was about time I completed another challenge - just one more to go after this card!  Here is the photo Mynnette chose for the inspiration challenge.


What stood out for me was the owl and the colours of black, grey, red and white - and those lovely red berries.  I knew exactly what stamp to use for the owl but the rest had me stumped for a little while until I just sat down and started to play.  After I'd decided to incorporate the berries on the sentiment strip the card came together quickly but then I did keep to a simple design.   I stamped the owl in Memento Gray Flannel ink, die cut it and mounted it to a larger black die cut shape.  It's hard to tell from the photo but I pierced around the black shape using the matching piercing template.  I stamped the sentiment and die cut the banner shape.  I used Basic Gray and Riding Hood Red markers to ink the twig and berries stamp and I stamped randomly around the banner.  I glued that flat to the card and added narrow black CS strips at the top and bottom.  I popped up the black label shape and added 3 punched snowflakes.  Jewel rhinestones were then added to give some sparkle.  To finish off the front of the card I rounded 2 corners.


I added a sentiment and a couple of fancy corner details inside the card and I stamped and punched a snowflake circle element for the envelope flap.


I'm feeling very Christmassy today 'cos I made the Christmas pudding earlier on.  I love this seasonal ritual, the getting out of the Delia Smith Christmas book and the enormous Mason Cash mixing bowl and the wonderful smells as you add everything in and stir.  I put on some Christmas music and sang along as I weighed, chopped and stirred and I shall be doing the same later on in the week when I make the home made mincemeat.  Thanks to Delia I shall also be making an Italian chocolate nut Christmas cake in a couple of weeks time, can't wait to sample that!

Supplies:
Stamps: Inkadinkado 'Winter Birds' clear set, SU! 'Four the Holidays' & 'Patterned Pines' sets, Woodware 'Happiest of Christmases' clear set, PSX 'Snowflake Medley'
CS: SU! Riding Hood Red, Basic Black & Whisper White
Ink: Memento Gray Flannel & Tuxedo Black, SU! Riding Hood Red & Basic Gray
Tools: SU! Label Framelits dies, SU! Festive Paper Piercing Pack & piercing tool, MFT Fishtail Flags Stax die, Woodware snowflake punch, circle punches, Crop-a-dile Corner Chomper, Stamp-a-ma-jig
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Rhinestone Jewels, 3D foam tape


Photobucket

1 comment:

Mynn xx said...

Oh, a winter blog now, huh? LOVE it! ;) This card is just beautiful! LOVE the gray image with all the bright red. Just fabulous! Hurry and get your other card in, girl! ;)

01 09 10