Thursday 31 January 2013

Pink Bootees Hello Baby Card & Altered Frame


This is what I sent to my friend Kelly to welcome baby Grace Amelia into the world and to congratulate Kelly on being a new mum!  What a happy time I had in my craft room making this card and frame, new baby projects are such a joy to make!

Huge thanks to my SU! upline Joanne who showed me how to make the baby bootees using the SU! Full Heart punch.  After trimming the Pretty in Pink hearts into bootee shapes I cut a strip of white CS to make the tops of the bootees and embossed all the shapes together using the Lacy Brocade folder.  I inked the edges with Pretty in Pink ink, glued the white top pieces onto the pink shapes and added white twine bows.  I set the bootees aside while I  made a side opening Pretty in Pink A6 card base.  I cut a Whisper White panel, stamped the sentiment and added a stamped and fussy cut lacy strip.  I also stamped and fussy cut the Gossamer Lace image.  I layered the white panel onto a Primrose Petals mat, added the ribbon corner piece and popped up the bootees with twine strings taped to the back before attaching the mat to the card front.  I then embellished the ribbon with a double stacked button and added hearts to the bootees and above the sentiment.  I used the SU! Fashionable Hearts Embosslits die which embosses as well as die cuts the hearts - one of the Christmas gifts I was lucky enough to receive!  Then all three hearts got a tiny heart shaped pink jewel.


For inside the card I cut a white panel, stamped the oh, so sweet, ducky toy image, added a lace strip, hearts and a stamped sentiment.  One of the hearts and the wheels of the toy got pink jewels.


The double stacked button embellishment made the card a tad chunky so I've used an A6 expandable envelope.  I stamped and fussy cut another lacy strip, punched a Full Heart shape and added two more die cut embossed hearts - and another pink jewel!  You can't NOT break out the pink jewels and lace for a baby girl card!


 I bought this pink 'baby is sleeping' frame with the idea of gussying it up a bit.  I decided to get rid of the thick hemp string hanger - not pretty enough for a baby girl frame!  I replaced that with some Primrose Petals stitched satin ribbon.  I then added some white and pink pearls and a butterfly.  I die cut 3 butterflies from Whisper White CS and glued them together.  I then applied a coat of Glossy Accents and once that was dry I applied a coat of Picket White Distress Crackle Paint.  When the crackle paint had dried I inked the butterfly with Primrose Petals ink and applied a coat of clear gloss varnish.  When the varnish had dried I hot glued a Primrose Petals Dahlia embellishment onto a metal brad.  I placed the brad in the centre of the butterfly body and tucked a pearly stamen behind the brad prongs to act as antennae. I then hot glued the butterfly to the frame.  I'm thinking if Kelly doesn't want to use it as a baby is sleeping frame then she could place a photo inside the frame instead.


Here's a close up view of the butterfly.


 I was so happy to hear Kelly's news and relieved to hear Mum and baby are both doing well.  I really hope Kelly likes the card and frame - I have a feeling I may not hear from her for a while as she will be a tad busy!

I've had a really nasty cold and cough and had to take to my bed for a few days.  I actually made it downstairs today before noon (just!) so I call that an achievement!  It's been 5 days since I set foot in my craft room and I don't like going that long without a crafty fix.  I'm hoping to spend some time in my craft room this afternoon even if it's only for a gentle potter!  I know to avoid paper piercing - personal experience has taught me that sneezing and a straight row of paper piercing do NOT go hand in hand LOL!

Supplies for card:
Stamps: SU! 'Gossamer Lace', 'Viola's Lace' wheel, 'Sweet Essentials' & 'Embellished Events' sets, Hobby Art 'Sentiments' clear set
CS: SU! Pretty in Pink, Primrose Petals & Whisper White
Ink: SU! Pretty in Pink, Primrose Petals & Crumb Cake
Tools: SU! Full Heart punch, Lacy Brocade embossing folder, Fashionable Hearts Embosslits die, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Primrose Petals stitched satin ribbon,  Pretty in Pink button, Vintage Faceted button, Whisper White Baker's Twine, Dimensionals, PaperMania pink jewels


Supplies for frame:
CS: SU! Whisper White
Ink: SU! Primrose Petals
Tools: SU! Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die, hot glue gun, paper piercer, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: frame, SU! Primrose Petals stitched satin ribbon,  Primrose Petals Dahlia Embellishment, silver brad, Ranger Glossy Accents & Tim Holtz Picket Fence Distress Crackle Paint, clear gloss varnish, pearly stamen, white & pink pearls


Photobucket



4 comments:

sandie said...

My goodness Ruth, this is just so amazing! The card is adorable, the little booties are so cute and I love the little pink duck. And your frame is fabulous. I just love the butterfly-your friend will be over the moon with this gift x

Vicky Hayes said...

Aaaah! I can see how much love you put into this project Ruth and those booties are so clever! Thank you for the sweet comment you left me, it made my day! Hope you're feeling better now. Vicky x

Jacqueline said...

So sorry to hear that you have been under the weather Ruth - hope you are feeling better soon.
Your card and frame is so pretty I just adore those booties - Jacqueline xx

Mynn xx said...

Hope you are feeling better! :( I had that crud for two weeks. My cough was gone Wednesday and came back last night!!! Anyway, this post is being PINNED because I LOVE the idea of the altered frame to give as a gift--you're so clever, Ruth! Beautiful creations and congrats to Kelly!!!

01 09 10