Friday 18 January 2013

Spice Cake Fabric Box

Today I'm sharing a non card project - a bit of a rarity here at Flower Sparkle!  It's a box made using the SU! Scallop Envelope Bigz die, Spice Cake fabric and CS.  My SU! Upline Joanne showed me how to make it a few weeks back - thanks to Joanne for her know how and incredible patience!  I assembled the box at that time but I've only just got around to adding the finishing touches with embellishments.

You attach the fabric to CS with Multipurpose Adhesive Sheets (which are sticky on both sides) and then you die cut four Scallop Envelopes.  To make the box you join the four envelopes together.  We used Sticky Strip when we assembled the box as that will hold the box together securely. 


I stuck the scalloped flaps down flat and added a strip of gorgeous Very Vanilla velvet ribbon all the way around the box.  I then stuck a piece of fabric to a piece of Multipurpose Adhesive Sheet and die cut the flower.  I also die cut two Very Vanilla flower shapes and stacked them all together to make the flower thicker.  I threaded linen thread through a brown button and hot glued that to the flower centre and then I hot glued the flower to the ribbon.  I finished off by adding three rhinestone jewels.

Here's a couple more photos.



This box sits out on my desk holding items I reach for often - my smaller sized SU! acrylic blocks and my most used stamp - my 'Created by Ruth' stamp that I put on the back of most of my cards.  It also holds a very useful mini pincushion.

So why a pincushion?  Well, I use a PVA glue bottle with an ultrafine tip and it has to have a treated pin kept in the tip - originally a white pearl topped pin.  Whenever I used the glue I put the pin down and then could never find it again on my messy desk and had to search for it.  A lady at my card group suggested I colour the pearl with bright nail varnish so I did that so it was easier to locate - but I still ended up searching for it 'cos I always placed it somewhere on my desk and it would get covered up!  Hubby must have witnessed me undertaking a pin search one day while in my craft room (no doubt I was muttering madly to myself!) because one of my advent gift box gifts from him was the mini pincushion.  To be honest, I did wonder why Owen had given me a pincushion but I thanked him kindly and he said "that's to keep your glue bottle pin in".  Wow, I was SO impressed!  So now I always know where to find my glue bottle pin when I'm ready to place it back in the tip. 

I thought I'd take a filled up photo too!


I love my box, it's functional yet lovely to look at too!

Brrrrrr, it's very chilly today and we woke up to snow!  A perfect day to stay at home and craft so I've just made myself a big mug of tea and I'm heading up to my craft room now to make a mess!

Supplies:
CS: SU! Very Vanilla
Tools:  SU! Scallop Envelope Bigz die, Fun Flowers Bigz L die, hot glue gun
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Spice Cake Designer Fabric, Multipurpose Adhesive Sheets, Sticky Strip, Very Vanilla Designer Velvet Ribbon, Latte Designer Button, linen thread, rhinestone jewels


 photo FlowerSparkleSRuth.gif

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

This is gorgeous Ruth - a very useful project and so pretty - Jacqueline xx

01 09 10