Tuesday 9 April 2013

Two Purple Fabric Dress Cards

Some friends recently showed me some of their wonderful patchwork projects.  Carol's beautiful quilt was in shades of purple and one of the fabrics she had used had silver glitter in it!  I had such an "ooooooooh, sparkly" moment!  Jean immediately knew that I was thinking about my Dress Up dies and what lovely dresses the fabric would make.  Carol very kindly gave me the strip of fabric she had left over from the project - I was so chuffed and I just had to make a thank you card for her!  What a sweetheart!

I used CS and double sided adhesive sheet to die cut the sleeved dress from the fabric .  I also cut just the bottom of the dress from Elegant Eggplant CS and tucked that behind the fabric so it's peeking out below the skirt.  I saw a neckline detail on Pinterest a while ago so I used that idea to give the neckline a scalloped edge.  I punched an Elegant Eggplant scalloped oval, then punched a plain oval from inside the shape, trimmed the piece to size and glued it to the neckline.  I added silver lurex ribbon and a flower shaped button to make a sash.  I die cut a white Labels 4 Nestie shape, embossed it with the Fancy Fan embossing folder, die cut the top and bottom of the label from Elegant Eggplant CS and glued the pieces together to get a mat border at the top and bottom.  I popped the label shape up onto the Barely Banana A6 card base and popped the dress up onto the label.  I stamped the sentiment, added the ribbon and bow and finished off the front with some silver pearls.


Here's a close up so you can see how sparkly the fabric is. * swoon *


I cut a white panel for inside the card and stamped opposite corners with a gorgeous stamp from the Flowering Flourishes set.  I stamped the sentiment onto Barely Banana CS and cut it out with a Labels Trio die.  I stamped the flourish again, punched part of the design out with a 1 3/4" circle punch and matted onto a 2" Elegant Eggplant punched circle to go on the envelope flap.


Card two was sent to Sandie, my sweet friend from the Inkspirational challenge blog design team.  Sandie is a CAS card maker and I wanted to keep to a CAS design for her card.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Sandie loves purple so I used a predominantly purple combo.  I threw in some Whisper White together with a hint of metallic silver CS.  This time I made a landscape orientated A6 Elegant Eggplant card and popped the dress up onto a shape cut out using an SU! Apothecary Accents die.  I used the Essentials piercing pack to pierce around the shape.  I die cut the sleeveless dress and added Elegant Eggplant ribbon and a button for a sash and then added bling to the skirt scallops.  I stamped and punched the sentiment element and added some teeny flowers with rhinestone centres.  The finishing detail for the card front was to round just the top right corner of the card.


Again I used the Flowering Flourishes set to decorate the inside of the card ...


...and the envelope.


I'm watching the Great British Sewing Bee on TV and am in awe of the talent demonstrated by the contestants.  I'm happy to watch but have no desire to try it for myself as I really don't want a repeat of the trauma suffered during my school needlework classes * shudder *  Die cutting with my Dress Up Framelits dies is the closest I shall ever come to dressmaking!  Just as well needlework is not my thing, I'd have a very hard job resisting pretty fabrics - I'm very glad to have kind friends who give me their leftover fabric pieces! 

Supplies for thank you card:
Stamps: SU! 'Thank You Kindly', 'Sweet Essentials' & 'Flowering Flourishes' sets
CS: SU! Barely Banana, Elegant Eggplant & Whisper White
Ink: SU! Elegant Eggplant
Tools: SU! Dress Up Framelits die, Spellbinder's Labels 4 & Labels Trio dies, plain & scallop oval punches, 1 3/4" & 2" circle punches
Embellishments & accessories: purple sparkly fabric, SU! Elegant Eggplant grosgrain ribbon, silver lurex ribbon, Dovecraft button, silver pearls, 3D foam tape



Supplies for to you from me card:
Stamps: SU! 'Best Yet' & 'Flowering Flourishes' sets
CS: SU! Elegant Eggplant & Whisper White, Canford metallic silver CS
Ink: SU! Elegant Eggplant
Tools: SU! Dress Up Framelits die, Apothecary Accents Framelits die, plain & scalloped circle punches, Itty Bitty Flower punch, corner rounder punch, SU! Essentials Paper-Piercing Pack, Paper-Piercing Tool
Embellishments & accessories: purple sparkly fabric, SU! Elegant Eggplant grosgrain ribbon, Dovecraft button, SU! Rhinestone Jewels, 3D foam tape


 photo ruthiecardmaker.gif

1 comment:

sandie said...

And this card is sitting proudly on my mantle piece! And I do love purple! I keep looking at the gorgeous dress fabric....can you make a RL version???

01 09 10