Monday 10 June 2013

Aqua & Yellow Summer Silhouettes Birthday Card

It's my friend Jan's birthday on Thursday and I always make three birthday cards for her.  One to give her from me at card group, one from me and Owen and one for her husband Alan to give to her.  This is the card I made for Alan to give to her.  I was totally inspired by photos I saw on Pinterest for this card.  I just adored this pincushion colour combo image - the original pic can be found here

Photo courtesy of I Heart Linen 

I saw this beautiful, stunning card made by Narelle Farrugia on Pinterest too so I took inspiration from it and CASEd her card.  Narelle's blog post for this card can be found here.  I don't usually gravitate towards yellow but yellow and blue make a striking and yummy combo! 


I started with a 5 3/4" Pool Party card base and then got busy layering with patterned papers and Bermuda Bay, Daffodil Delight and Coastal Cabana cardstocks.  For the main image panel I stamped and fussy cut leaves and flowers.  I stamped a butterfly in Bermuda Bay ink, coloured with Crushed Curry ink and a blender pen and punched it out.  I used a bookplate die for the sentiment, popped that and the flowers up and added jewels.  I added a bow to finish off the front.  I found it hard to get a good photo colour wise - Bermuda Bay is such a rich, deep greeny aqua colour but in the photo it looks more turquoisey blue.  The yellow is softer in real life too.  I absolutely LOVE Bermuda Bay, it is my favourite of the new SU! colours.


Here's the inside.  The border was stamped in Coastal Cabana ink - it goes beautifully with Bermuda Bay! - and I used Crushed Curry ink for the sentiment.  I was sure I wouldn't like Crushed Curry, not being a yellow lover, but it is a lovely golden yellow so I was pleasantly surprised to find I do like it!    


Here's the envelope flap with stamped leaves and a butterfly.  I'm happy how this card turned out - I just have to hope that Alan and Jan like the card!



Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Summer Silhouettes', 'Papillon Potpourri' & 'Blooming with Kindness' sets, Hero Arts 'Yummy Treats' clear set
CS: SU! Pool Party, Bermuda Bay, Coastal Cabana, Daffodil Delight & Whisper White

Patterned paper:  SU! Pool Party In Color DSP, Daffodil Delight Polka Dot Parade DSP
Ink: SU! Bermuda Bay, Coastal Cabana, Daffodil Delight & Crushed Curry
Tools: SU! Bitty Butterfly punch, Sizzix Bookplates die, Stamp-a-ma-jig
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Daffodil Delight stitched ribbon, Rhinestone Jewels, Dimensionals


 photo ruthpbcat.gif

2 comments:

Pia S said...

WOW! These are fabulous bold summery colors and I really like the whole design of this card! And I also love how you decorated the backside of the envelope with the leaves and the butterfly.

Anonymous said...

This is GORGEOUS! The layering is fabulous and you certainly have a way of making bright colors look very elegant. Beautiful work!
- Shauna

01 09 10