Thursday 4 July 2013

July 2013 Card Group Projects

It was our card group get together today and I think I may have startled the ladies when they walked in to see an iron and ironing board in the room LOL!  I have just recently tried the wax paper resist technique - which requires an iron - and I loved it so much I thought I'd share it with my card group ladies!  I think it's a fabulous technique and I'm happy to say all the ladies loved it too!

I typed some instructions for the wax paper resist technique to hand out at card group and I thought I'd add them here on the blog too so I've added a Tutorials page now which is up at the top.

After scrunching up the wax paper and ironing it between two pieces of glossy CS I applied Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserves Distress Inks using foam sponges and an ink applicator tool and buffed the piece with kitchen towel to remove excess ink.  I cut a piece of black CS the same size as the glossy CS piece and offset them.  I glued on the die cut leafy stem and a punched flower and I added a sparkly silver dome sticker to the flower centre.  A big bold stamped sentiment finished off the card. 


Here's a closer look at the wax paper resist panel.  After I'd made this card I wondered how it would turn out if I embossed the wax paper with an embossing folder so I had to try that out! 


I sandwiched the piece of wax paper between two pieces of plain printer paper and embossed with the SU! Vintage Wallpaper folder.  I thought the wax paper would tear if I embossed just that so that's why I added the plain paper pieces.  After sandwiching the embossed wax paper between two pieces of glossy CS and ironing you get two looks - one from the raised side of the folder and one from the recessed side.  Fun!  Here's an example.


Next up is this cake Happy Birthday card.  I had a request from Margaret B to revisit the technique of using paper napkins and acetate to make elements for cards and I was happy to oblige!  I've added instructions for this technique to my Tutorials page as well so do check it out if you fancy having a go yourself.  I embossed the Chocolate Chip panel with the Fancy Fan folder and added a stamped Chocolate Chip gingham strip made using my new Gingham stamp.  I knew I'd have to buy the stamp as soon as I saw it, how fabulous to have gingham in any colour!  I used a scrumptious fancy cake image from a paper napkin and popped up the fussy cut image over a paper doily.  I popped up the sentiment circle to finish.


Although I enjoy fussy cutting I'm still a sucker for a flower stamp that can be cut out with a matching punch!  For the third card I used an image from the SU! Best of Flowers set and the SU! 1 1/4" scallop circle punch to cut out three flowers.  I saw this lovely card made by Mary Fish on Pinterest and CASEd it.   I didn't add the flower centres with Glossy Accents like Mary did though - I was concerned the Glossy Accents wouldn't dry in time for the ladies to take their cards home - but I may well add the glossy centres to my card later on!  I added a So Saffron die cut fancy border to the white panel and glued on Night of Navy punched leaves.  I stamped the flower image in Night of Navy ink and punched two So Saffron flowers and one Marina Mist flower.  I glued one flower flat to the white panel and popped the other two up.  I added So Saffron ribbon to the Marina Mist panel before gluing the panel to the Night of Navy card front.



Supplies for card one:
Stamps: Woodware 'Double Birthdays' clear set
CS: PaperMania white A6 card blank, SU! Basic Black, Ranger glossy white CS, wax paper
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Ranger Tim Holtz Dusty Concord & Seedless Preserves Distress Inks
Tools: Marianne Design Creatables 'Branch Garden' die, EK Success flower punch, Ranger ink applicator tool & foam sponges, craft mat, iron
Embellishments & accessories: PaperMania sparkly silver dome stickers


Supplies for card two:
Stamps: SU! Gingham wheel stamp, Stampendous Happy Birthday
CS: PaperMania cream A6 card blank, SU! Chocolate Chip & Very Vanilla, acetate
Ink: SU! Chocolate Chip
Tools: SU! Fancy Fan embossing folder
Embellishments & accessories: cake image from a pretty paper napkin, glue stick, paper doily, 3D foam pads


Supplies for card three:
Stamps: SU! 'Best of Flowers' set, 'Beautiful Birthday' stamp
CS: SU! Night of Navy, Marina Mist, So Saffron & Whisper White
Ink: SU! Night of Navy
Tools: SU! 1 1/4" scallop circle punch, MFT 'Dainty Lace Border' die, Woodware leaf punch
Embellishments & accessories: SU! So Saffron grosgrain ribbon, 3D foam pads


 photo FUBSPUDDYTAT.gif



3 comments:

Rocky said...

Wow, Wow and Wow again! Gorgeous cards and FAB tutorials aswell. Only trouble is if I get the iron out Hubby will think I'm going to do his shirts!!!

Pia S said...

Your card with the wax paper resist technique looks fantastic! Such a classy and beautiful design and I love the colors!

Jacqueline said...

Stunning cards Ruth - some great techniques too - Jacqueline xx

01 09 10