Wednesday 17 July 2013

Wax Paper Resist Butterfly Birthday Card - Inkspirational July CASE Challenge (#29)

It's time for the monthly CASE challenge over at Inkspirational and we have a stunningly beautiful card made by Ellen, the Inkspirational challenge blog co-owner, as our CASE inspiration. Ellen's blog post for the card can be found here.


Well, my goodness, there are SO many things you can take from this card as inspiration, I was spoilt for choice!  When I first checked out the card I had to investigate the wax paper resist technique straight away as I'd not tried that before.  I gave it a go and I loved the effect!  So I lifted the the wax paper resist technique, I used the same butterfly stamp,  I've used a wonky panel, a sentiment flag banner, lace ribbon, a flower element and pearls!  So, basically, I lifted pretty much everything - although I did make a square card and I used different colours for my version!

My 5 3/4" square card base was made with Bermuda Bay CS.  The background panel was made using the wax paper resist technique and I sponged Evergreen Bough and Salty Ocean Distress inks over the top.  I trimmed the panel to size and layered it onto a black mat.  I have a tutorial for the technique on my Tutorials tab up at the top.  I stamped the butterfly onto an excess piece of the panel using black StazOn ink and die cut the butterfly.  I glued the sentiment banner, popped up the black lacy square at an angle and glued the butterfly body flat but popped up the wings.  I added a strip of white lace ribbon, attached two aqua Prima flowers to the panel with a black brad and glued the panel to the card front.  I love those elegant pearly flourishes Ellen has used on her card but as I don't have any I opted to add a die cut flourish corner instead.  I punched two black butterflies and added small pearls to the bodies and added more pearls to finish off the card front.


Here's the inside and the envelope.  I stamped the label from the SU! Everything Eleanor set in Pool Party ink before stamping the sentiment over the top.  I added punched butterflies inside but another wax paper resist butterfly went onto the envelope flap.


I enjoyed CASEing Ellen's gorgeous card very much indeed, the discovery of the wax paper resist technique was a great bonus as I really love it - huge thanks to Ellen!   I hope you will take up the Inkspirational challenge to CASE Ellen's card - and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Supplies:
Stamps: Hero Arts/Sizzix 'Antique Flowers & Butterflies' stamp & die combo set, 'Birthday Greetings' from SU! 'Wetlands' set, SU! 'Everything Eleanor' set, Hobby Art 'Sentiments' clear set
CS: SU! Bermuda Bay, Pool Party, Basic Black & Whisper White, Ranger Glossy Paper, Reynolds Cut-Rite wax paper
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Jet Black StazOn, SU! Pool Party, Ranger Tim Holtz Evergreen Bough & Salty Ocean Distress Inks

Tools: Lacy Square Nestabilities die, butterfly die from Hero Arts/Sizzix 'Antique Flowers & Butterflies' stamp & die combo set, Cuttlebug 'Vintage' 2" x 2" die set, Martha Stewart butterfly punch, square punch (to make flag banner), Ranger ink applicator tool & sponges, craft mat, iron
Embellishments & accessories: Woodware self adhesive white lace ribbon, Prima flowers, PaperMania black brad, SU! pearl jewels, Dimensionals


 photo ButterflyFlutterRuth.gif 


8 comments:

Pia S said...

I agree, there are so many ideas one can pick from this card, and I love how the wax paper resist technique turned out for your card. Beautiful!

sandie said...

what a great case and you were brave to try to wax resist technique but did a fab job. I like the colour scheme you have chosen, it makes your card look different but still using the basic case of Ellen's card. It is great to see how all the DT case the same card. I do love to see what inspires others!

Mynn xx said...

I've never tried wax paper resist but you have pulled it off perfectly! LOVE the blues--so summery and fun! HUGS and hope you're having a great week! :)

Kylie said...

I never think to stamp onto DP. Your butterfly is so amazing. I shall have to do this. Great CASE! xx

Anonymous said...

Very pretty Ruth! I like your color choices and how you have a couple butterflies of different sizes and styles. Beautiful take on the CASE!
- Shauna

Marina said...

Great colour choice; your resist turned out beautifully and, as always, fantastic attention to detail. Marina

Unknown said...

Ruth your CASE is gorgeous! I'm happy you tried the wax resist and liked it! I love using it. Your colors are beautiful too!

kelly said...

This is amazing!!! LOVE the colour my favourite.
Love Kelly and Grace xx

01 09 10