Monday 21 April 2014

Butterflies Good Luck Card - HOC April Sketch Challenge - Classic & Elegant

At House of Cards this month we have a sketch challenge for you.  During the next two weeks we're wanting to see either CAS or Classic and Elegant cards made using this great layout.  You can rotate the sketch and change shapes - as long as the layout still comes through on your completed card it's all good!

 

 I stayed faithful to the layout - and I was even literal enough to use a butterfly as the main image! - but I opted to make a square card.  I layered dotty patterned paper onto an Island Indigo mat, added the lace trim and adhered the panel to the front of the Pool Party 5 3/4" square card base.   I then got busy with my butterfly die, I cut it out, dry embossed it - and keeping the shape in place inside the die - I applied Pool Party ink using a sponge dauber.  I removed the shape from the die, masked the string and bow and stamped a woven pattern over the top in Island Indigo ink. The Pool Party square and the sentiment are popped up and to complete the card front I added more butterflies and sprinkled on some rhinestone jewels. 


Here's a closer look at the butterfly.  Because I kept the die in place before adding the Pool Party ink the debossed areas remained white.  I tried stamping the woven background over the top whilst the die was still in place but that wasn't successful.  So I removed the shape from the die and stamped again - perfect - only the raised embossed areas got stamped so my debossed areas stayed white.  I inked the edges of the butterfly with Island Indigo ink using a sponge dauber just to give a little more definition.


Here's the inside of the card and the envelope.  For these butterflies I die cut using Pool Party CS and applied Island Indigo ink with a sponge dauber and didn't stamp a design over the top.  The Memory Box Precious Butterflies die comes with both large and small butterfly shapes, both suspended from a string and bow.  I snipped the bow off the smaller one, glued it to the white panel and lined the larger butterfly up above it before gluing it into place.  I just used a small butterfly shape for the envelope flap.  


That Good Luck sentiment stamp has been in my stash for many, many years, it's one of the first stamps I ever bought, I fell in love with that gorgeous font - and I still love it now!  I rarely make Good Luck cards so it doesn't get an outing very often.  I was very happy to ink it up again to make a card for Hollie, a sweet girl who worked at our local craft shop, the Glitter Pot.  Hollie starts a new job soon and I wanted to wish her the best of luck and good wishes for her future.    

So now it's over to you, please link up your creations made using the sketch, we'd love you to play along with us at HOC!

Supplies:
Stamps: Rubber Stampede 'Good Luck', Hero Arts 'Large Woven Background', Hobby Art 'Sentiments' clear set
CS: SU! Pool Party, Island Indigo & Whisper White

Patterned paper: Lasting Impressions 'Seaside' dotty paper
Ink: SU! Pool Party & Island Indigo
Tools: Memory Box 'Precious Butterflies' die, SU! 'Beautiful Wings' Embosslits die, Spellbinder's Grommet Tags die set, SU! Ticket Corner punch, small circle punches, sponge daubers
Embellishments & accessories: Woodware self adhesive white lace ribbon, SU! Island Indigo Candy Dots & Brad Bases, SU! rhinestone jewels, Dimensionals




 photo RoseRuth.gif
 

3 comments:

Donna Nuce said...

Love your technique on tge butterfly Ruth. Beautiful card. Have a great day.

Mynn xx said...

THIS. IS. AWESOME! LOVE the way you did up that butterfly! I am totally gonna have to remember this when crafting next time--stamp on the debossed side. LOVE! HUGS and have a great week! :) Mynn xx

Nancy Seed said...

Great job. Love the effect on the butterfly.

01 09 10