Tuesday 21 April 2015

One Layout, Four Cards Glitter Pot Class Cards

On Saturday I ran a second 'One Layout, Four Cards' class at the Glitter Pot.  I was so embarrassed at the start as I'd left a plastic folder containing the class cards and other bits and pieces at home!  My sweet friend Wendy drove me home to get it and we were back in the classroom in about ten minutes.  I think that was a valuable experience, I'm willing to bet I won't ever forget class cards again!  I opted for a very simple layout but as a card sketch is just a starting point there are plenty of opportunities for some creative adapting!


This first card follows the sketch layout faithfully, with six square tiles of patterned paper arranged on a 7" x 5" card base.  Such an easy and quick card to make - and a great way to use up patterned paper scraps from the stash!  I inked the edges of each square with Festive Berries Distress Ink, glued all the squares flat apart from the 'hello' square which I popped up.  I die cut and shaped two red flowers, added silver Candi dots and popped both flowers up.  I added some tiny silver pearls to the flowers on the 'hello' square to complete the card.


For this next card I switched to an A6 landscape orientated card and swapped two of the squares in the layout for a rectangle.  What I really like about designing for these 'One Layout, Four Cards' classes is that I can make the cards look so different even though I'm using the same sketch layout.  For this card I chose a white on white design.  I think dimension and mixing textures and finishes is a good way to go when it comes to white on white cards.  I made the card base from matt white card but used Bazzill Bling 'Diamond' CS for the panels, the pearly sheen gives such a lovely contrast.  The embossed squares add all important texture and I added some ribbon and pearls for interest and extra contrast. I used two embossing folders for the square panels, left the rectangle plain but embossed the solid butterfly shape.  Originally I glued the rectangle panel and embossed squares flat to the card but that looked - well, flat!  Popping up those panels made a big difference!  I glued the butterfly body flat to the panel but placed 3D foam pads under the wings, leaving the backing paper on to make sure the wings stay popped up.


For this card, rather than staying with squares I switched to hexagons.  I cut a rectangular panel of white CS and applied Wild Honey and Picked Raspberry Distress Inks to the panel with Smoothie ink blending sponges.  I stamped the Woodware 'Grasses Background' image onto the panel and then cut out six hexagons using a Nestie die.  I punched a flower out from each shape and popped all the hexagons up.  I highlighted some of the stamping with a glossy black Gelly Roll Glaze pen and placed gems in each flower centre to finish.   


Here's a closer look at some glossy highlighting.


Versatility is important I think when creating with sketch layouts.  I always like to see if the design works with both rectangular and square shaped cards.  It has to be said that this particular layout definitely lends itself to rectangular cards!  However, just one simple addition - a strip down the side  of the card - and the layout works on a square card.  

This time I switched from squares to circles and added stamped and shaped flowers.  We have so many primroses in both our front and back gardens this year so they inspired me to make my flowers yellow.  I used a new fave stamp set, 'Blossom', a clear set from Leane Creatief which makes easy work of two step stamping flowers. I used it on my last Glitter Pot class too, I love it!  I covered a 5 1/4" square white card base with yellow paper, layered a kraft dotty paper panel onto a brown CS mat and glued that to the card front.  The reverse side of the kraft dotty paper is the colourful, pretty flower lattice design and I glued a matted strip of that to the side of the card.  I stamped the solid flowers in Memento Dandelion ink, stamped the dotty outlines in Rich Cocoa ink, fussy cut the flowers and popped them up onto 1 1/2" white punched circles.  I stamped the sentiment onto white card, cut it out with the circle punch and popped that up.  I added a brown gem to each flower centre to finish.


Thank you SO much to all the ladies that came along, it truly means a lot to me that you're supporting me and enjoying the 'One Layout, Four Cards' classes.

Supplies for card 1:
Stamps: none
CS: Glitter Pot Thick White Card, Core'dinations 'Cardinal'

Patterned paper: Pebbles Garden Party - 'Petunia' & 'Poppy', Simple Stories Colour Vibe Lights - 'Mint'
Ink: Tim Holtz Festive Berries Distress Ink
Tools: Nellie's Shape Dies 'Flower 2' set, DEET & moulding mat, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: Craftwork Cards Regal Silver Card Candi, silver pearls, 3D foam tape & pads


Supplies for card 2:
Stamps: none 

CS: Glitter Pot Thick White Card, Bazzill Bling 'Diamond'
Ink: none
Tools: Cuttlebug 'Birds & Swirls' embossing folder, Crafts Too 'Lattice' & 'Garden Flowers' embossing folders, Memory Box 'Isabella Butterfly' die
Embellishments & accessories: white stripe organza ribbon, large & small pearls, 3D foam tape & pads 


Supplies for card 3:
Stamps: Woodware 'Grasses Background'
CS: Glitter Pot Thick & Medium White Card & Black Card
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Tim Holtz Wild Honey & Picked Raspberry Distress Inks, Black Gelly Roll Glaze Pen
Tools: Hexagon Nestabilities die, Smoothies ink blending sponges, Woodware Regular Flower punch
Embellishments & accessories: clear gems, 3D foam pads


Supplies for card 4:
Stamps: Leane Creatief 'Blossom' clear set, sentiment from Hobby Art 'Anna's Collection Just For You' clear set
CS: Glitter Pot Thick White Card, Core'dinations 'Chocolate Mocha'

Patterned paper: Bo Bunny 'Mellow Yellow' Double Dot paper, Doodlebug 'Hello Sunshine - Garden Trellis'
Ink: Memento Dandelion & Rich Cocoa
Tools: Woodware 1 1/2" circle punch, flower shaping tool & moulding mat
Embellishments & accessories: PaperMania Bronze gems, 3D foam pads 


 photo RoseRuth.gif

No comments:

01 09 10