Thursday 28 July 2016

Floral Boutique Tealights Gift Box & Cutaway Front Birthday Card

A few days ago I made this tealights gift box following Sam's excellent tutorial.  I've now made a second box to hold 12 pale pink Wild Lavender and Rose scented tealights.  I also made a matching birthday card with a cutaway front.  My colour combo is Pink Pirouette, Night of Navy and Whisper White and I inked the edges of almost everything with Night of Navy ink applied with a sponge dauber.  Jan came over today to make this ensemble and she really loved it!

Here are my card, envelope and tealight box together.  There's something very satisfying about having made a matching ensemble!


Here is a top view of the tealight box.  This time I did punch an aperture in the top of the box using the Decorative Label punch.  I punched the label again on a separate piece of Pink Pirouette CS and cut around the negative label shape using a rectangle die so that I got a frame to go around the aperture.  I wrapped Night of Navy solid baker's twine around the box, attached the tag and tied a bow. I used the Petite Petals stamp set and matching punch to make the three flowers and I sprinkled on a few rhinestone jewels to finish the tealight box.


Here's the front of the box.  When you punch the aperture from the top of the box you also punch a half label shape from the front of the box which makes opening the box easier.


When I'd decided I wanted to create a matching birthday card an idea popped into my head.  The idea of  using the Detailed Floral die set to make a cutaway Night of Navy front with a panel of Pink Pirouette CS showing through from behind.  Once the idea had popped into my head I just had to get it out of my system so to speak!  I made an A6 sized Night of Navy card base and cut out the detailed design from the bottom of the card using the larger detailed floral die only - WITHOUT using the cutting edge die.  I then cut a piece of Pink Pirouette CS to the size of the bottom portion of the card and attached it in place with temporary adhesive.  With the card open and the edger die in place I cut through both layers (the Night of Navy card front and the Pink Pirouette piece) - I used a shim and rolled back and forth a couple of times to make sure that both pieces of CS would be cut through completely.  I cut off the top portion of the card front and glued the Pink Pirouette edged piece behind the Night of Navy edged card front.  Because of the fold in the card base I needed to trim a tad off the Pink Pirouette piece before gluing it in place so that it would fit neatly inside and so there would be no pink bits peeping above the navy edge. 

I layered a strip of patterned paper onto a larger strip of Pink Pirouette CS, covered the inside of the Night of Navy card with a panel of Whisper White CS. adhered the strip and popped up the sentiment label.  I then rounded the top corners.  I decorated the envelope by covering the flap with patterned paper.


Here's the cutaway front card open.  I stamped another sentiment inside and added a trio of Petite Petals flowers.


Jan made a cutaway card to go with her tealight box but while making the card she had an idea.  I said she should go for it and make a card with her idea!  Her idea was to use both floral detail dies to cut floral detail at the top and bottom of a Night of Navy A6 sized card and to adhere a panel of Pink Pirouette CS behind.  Here's a photo of Jan's tealight box and her second card - she had a very good idea, what a lovely card!  As you can see, Jan used a different 'Floral Boutique' DSP patterned paper, opted to ink the edges of the aperture rather than adding a frame and used a different flower from the 'Petite Petals' set for her projects.


Wilko also sell Crisp Melon & Rhubarb scented tealights but we don't stock those in our store so I had to order them online.  I got a phone call this morning to say they'd arrived in the store and as I was busy with Jan today Owen collected them for me.  They smell so nice and are a lovely green colour - a very good match to Pear Pizzazz!  No prizes for guessing what I'll be doing later!

If you want to have a go at making the fab tealight gift box check out Sam's excellent tutorial blog post over at Pootles - the blog post includes a link to a YouTube video tutorial.

Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Birthday Blooms' & 'Petite Petals' sets, Hero Arts 'Scrummy Treats' set
CS: SU! Night of Navy, Pink Pirouette & Whisper White

Patterned paper: SU! 'Floral Boutique' DSP
Ink: SU! Night of Navy
Tools: SU! Simply Scored, SU! 'Detailed Floral' Thinlits die set, SU! die brush, SU! 'Decorative Label' ,'Petite Petals' & various circle punches, Crop-a-Dile Corner Chomper, sponge dauber
Embellishments & accessories: SU! Night of Navy solid baker's twine, SU! rhinestone jewels, Dimensionals


 photo RoseRuth.gif


No comments:

01 09 10