Tuesday 11 July 2017

Hot Air Balloon Square Step Panel Birthday Card

It was Owen's birthday on Sunday and for his card I took the opportunity of trying another version of  a step panel card.  After recently making an A6 sized step panel card I wanted to make a larger, square version - this card measures 5 1/2" square.

To make this sized card, cut CS to 10 1/4" x 5 1/2" and score at 5 1/2", 6 5/8", 8 5/8" and 9 3/4".  For the front panel cut CS to 5 5/8" x 4" and score at 4" and 5 1/8".

This style of card is perfect for showcasing patterned papers.  I love the different papers in the SU! 'Carried Away' DSP pack which match the 'Lift Me Up' stamp set and 'Up and Away' Thinlits dies so I knew exactly what I wanted to use for Owen's card!   I used the Dapper Denim ombre paper from the 'Color Theory' DSP stack to die cut the solid portions of the hot air balloon.  I cut the detailed balloon twice, once in Whisper White CS and again in Night of Navy CS and glued the navy shape on top of the white shape just slightly offset for a bit of dimension.  I embellished the balloon with small silver metal domed dots.  I mounted the balloon on an action wobble spring which adds a fun touch to the card.  To complete the card front I stamped and punched the sentiment circle and popped it up.


Here's another view from a different angle.  This card didn't want to stand up as well as the A6 sized card so I made a sleeve using Night of Navy CS and I slid that inside the 'box' at the bottom of the card which helped.


A message panel was adhered on the back of the card.


I made an envelope using the envelope punch board and a different design of 'Carried Away' DSP.  I popped up a name label to finish.  I'm very pleased to say that Owen loved the card!


Supplies:
Stamps: SU! 'Best Yet' set, Clearly Besotted 'Happy Birthday' set
CS: SU! Night of Navy , Watermelon Wonder & Whisper White

Patterned paper: SU! 'Carried Away' DSP
Ink: SU! Night of Navy & Watermelon Wonder
Tools: SU! 'Up and Away' Thinlits & 'Stitched Shapes' Framelits die sets, envelope punch board, Sizzix 'Card, Fancy Frame Flip-Its #2' Framelits die set 

Embellishments & accessories: small silver metal domed dots, SU! Dimensionals
Ruth


No comments:

01 09 10